Thursday, March 11, 2010

My life as a Mommy....

Becoming a Mommy changes everything....and yet nothing at all. Prior to having a baby, my life consisted of hubby, work and my friends. The hubs and I were quite social. We enjoyed going out and eating at a great steak (The Ranch...yummy!), going to have wings and beer to watch a good game and staying up late and sleeping in late whenever possible. I also cherished my girl time with my best friends. We spent each and everything Thursday at a biker bar listening to friends of ours play music while we ate chips & queso while having a beer.

I LOVED my time out...my plans, my time schedule, my way....until that Thursday night that I took the test....and it showed two lines instead of just one. I was pregnant....and from that point on it wasn't about me. I then dove into any .com that mentioned pregnancy and baby, books that contained millions of names, and shopped on-line for anything that was little and cute. I broke the news to my closest girlfriends by an e-mail letting them know that I would not be on our annual girls trip because I would be 7 1/2 months pregnant....this was followed by many congratulatory e-mails and excitement! It made my heart swell to have such love and support!

But of course life happens and the excitement wears off...well for everyone except me because this was my first pregnancy...I was having a BABY! At first I was sad when I heard all the girls were going out...and I wouldn't be going...I would get the invite and have the best intentions, but by the time I got off work, I was so sleepy....bedtime was 8pm to me....and then as I got bigger, I didn't want to be the prego girl in the bar :) But then I realized...that I really didn't care...not that I didn't miss my girl time, but I knew that I would rather be home or with family talking about plans for the baby. Sitting on the couch and feeling the movement of my baby girl (which I found out on my 26th birthday....that was followed with a surprise party from my hubs and BF). Kev and I would just stare at my stomach...it never got old...after I had KK, it still never got old. We spent hours watching her sleep and watching her breathe in and out. Then seeing her smiles, and her tummy time turn to crawl time...which quickly turned into pulling up and walking. Now she entertains me with stories of her day and a vivid imagination.

My second pregnancy, I knew what was to come...and two of my girlfriends were pregnant for the first time. It was fun to tell stories and lean on each other for questions and concerns. It funny how things changed...they looked to me for answers!

I now enjoy my time home and the short hours I have with my kiddos at night before cooking dinner, doing laundry and washing clothes takes over. Sometimes I just let the house go crazy because I would rather have fun with my smiling and giggly children then do chores....and I have to tell myself that it is okay. My big evening out that I look forward too is loading up the kiddos and walking the mall or heading outside to run in the backyard.

So all and all....I still get to do what I want...but this time I get to share it with my kids. It is funny how priorities change from one part of life to the next....I felt content and fulfilled prior to kids with a great husband and family and friends....and then I had children, which all of a sudden filled me up even more...and has challenged me in a way that keeps me learning everyday. I love being a mom....I never knew I would this much. I have a new found respect for my mom and the love she had for all of us. It is such a protective love. I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment