Monday, November 2, 2009

On this day...

I have a nephew, whom I refer to as "Bubba" or "D-Man". He turned 11 years old today. This is absolutely CRAZY to me...I swear just yesterday he was a toddler with the sweetest smile and just wandered around curious about everything.

I used to pride myself on being the best aunt I could ever be...I was there for every soccer game, basketball game, school play or any other event that included my nephew. He was like a little brother to me. He was born my Senior year in high school and my mom would babysit daily while his parents worked. Needless to say we developed a very close relationship.

Things have changed...with the combination of having my own children mixed with his "tween" years...I am not nearly as cool as I used to be :) I can accept that...I still get hugs, which is a big deal because he does not hand these out often.

He will celebrate this weekend with friends, pizza, cake and a nerf war. I have never attended a nerf war but look forward to checking out the scene. If I figure it out, I will post pictures.

I can't wait to see how my nephew grows. I know he has the bad habits and selective hearing as most kids his age...but he has an amazing heart. One full of faith in the Lord and the good in people. He loves soccer, drawing, making movies and using his imagination. I always picture him being a professional soccer/Steven Spielberg mix.

I must mention he was the first grandchild and the oldest of 3 earthly sisters and 1 heavenly sister. I know he feels outnumbered. He was very excited when he found out that my sister-in-law and myself were having boys...even with the 11 year difference.

Well, here is to my D-Man...one of the most amazing people I know. Happy Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment