Sunday, November 22, 2009

You will understand one day...

So my mom used to drive me crazy....I realize this sounds horrible, but it is true....and I am proud to say that one day I will drive my daughter crazy too.

Anyway...

I remember when I was younger how my mom would always walk two steps ahead (figuratively of course) to make sure I wasn't hurt, physically or emotionally. Trying to help me dodge all the hardships...and as much as I would push back at times...okay most of the time...trying to tell her...explain to her that she could not keep me from hurting or falling down along the road of life. She would not listen though and insisted on keeping by my side and helping me along the way to keep me protected and assuring me that "you will understand one day..."

Fast forward....






2- years later....

I have a slim idea of what the phrase means....I would do ANYTHING for this little girl to make sure she never hurts. Okay...so I know this is impossible, but I know the feeling in the pit of my stomach that just aches at the thought of her hurting.

Luckily, I trust that the Lord has an amazing plan for her and will always protect her as a child of God.

But I think of when she first came home and I slept on the couch for 4 months because I could not imagine her being alone in a room. Or when she was 6 months old and begin sitting up on her own and I place pillows all around her to make sure it would pad any fall she might have.....

When she began to walk, I followed her from room to room afraid of her falling.

I don't want to come off as a completely crazed mom because I would like to think of myself as a pretty laid back mother...but I do have my moments.

My husband laughs at me because when we are at the playground I fear her going down a slide. It is funny how a little person enters your life and all the worry and concern you have is all focused on this little person.

Now enter...

Two more amazing additions to our family....and the feeling of protecting my cubs is even more. I have three beautiful children that will all, at some time, experience hurt, fear and disappointment. These are things that I wish I could take away, but I know I can't so I will do my best to help them over these hurdles and make sure that they grow in a positive direction.

I had know idea how challenging and rewarding parenting would be. With the boys right now it is nothing but kisses and hugs. Sweet words and small intimate moments that we get to play and "talk".

But with Katelyn, we have begun shaping her into a tiny person that knows right from wrong. Every situation becomes some sort of lesson and explanation of the world. She fills our day with conversation using new words and descriptions. It is truly amazing that she knows her ABC's and can count. She can tell us what she likes...and even more what she doesn't. She is a beautiful young lady with such heart it brings tears to my eyes.

I know each phase of parenthood will be challenging and different than the last but I know that every challenge will be followed with a smile or action that makes it all worth it.

I feel blessed that I have 3 children....and cannot wait to use the line...

"you will understand...one day"

No comments:

Post a Comment