Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sonic-versary



20 years...pretty sure 20 years is a long time for anything...and today is the 20th anniversary of my Dad (and my hero here on Earth) opened up his Sonic Drive-In. It is so hard to believe that his drive-in has been up and running for such a long period of time...and the number of people he has met through the process.

Looking back, when it first opened, from the perspective of a then 10 year old...I was 1) sad....we were moving away from Texas...the only place I had known as home and to a new state full of new people and schools...this is tragic for a girl that age; but at the same time, 2)WAY EXCITED...my dad was going to have a Sonic and I could help and get to eat free food...not a bad deal.

I started 5th grade that fall, and it was so cool because I remember my dad bring Strawberry Sundaes to my class...and then in Junior High when I was on the cheer squad and we would carhop for donations and get to wear our uniforms...pretty sure I thought I was super cool! Then in high school when I worked (and was fired on 3 separate occassions...good thing my boss was my sweet, loving father!) and my friends would come visit, or more likely be working with me :) Moving onto college, and my first year that I went to school close to home and would stop in for breakfast each and every morning on my way to class just to hang out with my dad. When I moved away for college the following year, it was hard, but everytime I pulled into town, it was Sonic that I would stop at to see my dad before ever heading home. I love it now that my daughter walks in and all the employees know her name...and that she is there to see her Papa :)

My dad's Sonic holds such a special place in my heart...it was my job out of college that helped me pay my bills while I interviewed for jobs. It is where I saw my father, on countless occassions, work and work and work...through any and all things going on in our lives. He knew that was what took care of his family and he put the hours in without complaint. He is by far the hardest worker I have ever seen....I am still not sure how he did it. He gave his heart to employees...he tried to help on any level he could...he gave so many people their first job...and ear to listen...a joke when needed...and of course a good dose of responsibility and held them accountable for mistakes to teach them a lesson in working. I can't count how many people I know because they worked for my dad...and how they all have such fond memories of good ol' Sonic.

Now that I am a parent, I cannot imagine what he (and my mom) went through when they first took on the challenge...picking up a family of five...my dad was 38 years old and starting an entire new career path...thinking about that just scares me! They must have had incredible faith in the path that they had been given...and to know that without the path they took...I would not be where I am today. The wife of a Sonic guy that celebrated his 10th anniversary earlier this year :) I truly married a man that is hardworking and wonderful like my father...and I know his daughter adores him as I much as I adore my father.

Happy Sonic-versary to an incredible father...who has blessed me by not only what his job has given our family...but by me getting to watch his love for what he does, help others in need. He has an incredible heart! I am so proud of you dad!!

(Sidenote...a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to an wonderful husband!! Happy 37 Kev!)

No comments:

Post a Comment