Sunday, October 16, 2011

If you have nothing nice to say....

So lately, I have truly tried to focus on the positive in ALL situations...this is actually really hard in sometimes...does that sound bad??? 

But I have come to conclusion that in all situations, if you have nothing nice to say...it is best not to say anything.at.all.

I am ALWAYS amazed...and sometimes completely surprised at what people say...complete strangers...that feel the need to make an offhand comment. 

One instance that have stuck out in my mind as of lately:

1.  At dinner with the family....all six of us (and I think my mom too) and we have our usual large table, 3 high chairs and a booster plus adults :)  We are quite the crew...crayons everywhere...giggles...maybe a few impatient cries...but for the most part, I truly believe my kiddos are pretty good at the dinner table.  Perfect, no...but they do have pretty decent manners.  A family is already seated next to us...and they are sweet...laughing at/with our kiddos...asking us the questions about each of them...and then as we begin to finish our meal, another family sits down at an adjacent table.  Once we were all done eating...and we are waiting an unusually long time for the check, Kev decided he would go ahead and take the kiddos and start getting them loaded up in the car as I waited for the check.  After he walks by the family...the mom looks at me and says, "That is why I only had one kid...that is too many...and they are so close in age....you life must be awful." Really!?!  I still have yet to come up with an appropriate response to this...

Honestly...I do get comments from people like this more often than I would like...but also I have people that come up and compliment my family and our crew WAY more....why is it we let negative comments stick with us longer than the positive?? 

I think this is why I am trying to concentrate on being kind to others, especially with my words.  I would not like to be the person that says something that might stick in their mind and cause any hurt or issues that might make them question who they are or feel as though they need to defend themselves in any way.  I feel it is best to encourage others and I pray that I can think before I speak :)

I hope everyone had a FANTASTIC weekend and a fun week ahead!!
***Sidenote....it was brought to my attention (THANK YOU THANK YOU AMY!!) That people were unable to leave comments on my blog...I was not aware...but after some help, I changed my settings and comments should be enabled.  So please feel free to stop in and say hello :)

3 comments:

  1. Hello Friend! Can't wait for Belle to meet all your sweet kids! Just know that I love you and your whole family. You seriously have been blessed with such an amazing life!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! People should definitely keep it to themselves. You were good at biting your tongue on that one...love you guys!

    ReplyDelete