Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Start Sooner....

Being a parent is hard....I feel like so often we face "mom competition"....which leads to feeling down and out when we don't feel like we (or our kids) live up to expectations or milestones. This definitely hit home for me this past year with one of my boys....sweet lil' Carter.

Prior to the boys being born, we, of course, heard twins fall behind in normal milestones depending on birth date vs. due date....and with boys they normally fall behind in communication, and with twin boys they would probably be even more behind. So I had already had myself prepared to the boys being on their own path....however, it threw me off when just one boy was the only one falling behind and one thriving.

Carter has the best heart....he wears it on his sleeve actually....and he loves to help clean up, play with puzzles, put laundry in the washer...and then switch it to the dryer...he hugs and kisses and his eyes light up with each smile. But when it came to milestones...he was definitely on his own individual path. He sat up later than Bryce....took forever to want to crawl...walked 3 months after Bryce...none of this bothered me....I knew he would catch up in his own time. Our doctor said that by 2 years old it all evens out.... So when we were a couple of weeks away from their second birthday....there was one thing that nagged me....Carter's speech. He just didn't speak....at least not much...at all. Single words were few and far between....and I couldn't help but compare him to Bryce who was talking my ear off!

Around that time, I ran into a friend that had the same problems with her son around that age and told me about SoonerStart....and so I went home and googled it...

SoonerStart is Oklahoma’s early intervention program designed to meet the needs of infants and toddlers with disabilities and developmental delays. The program is a joint effort of the Oklahoma Departments of Education, Health, Human Services, Mental Health Services, the Commission on Children and Youth, and the Oklahoma Health Care Authority

I was amazed....and surprised...I had no idea our state had a program (free of charge) such as this....so I picked up the phone and set up an appointment. I spoke to a really great lady who had lots of questions and then she set me up with an appointment to meet with two other great women that would test Carter on 5 different sections.

At our appointment, Kevin, Carter and I went together and got their a little early. It was located in a small town close by (they set you up with a location depending on your county) and the three of us walked around together. Carter was so excited to be the "only" child...and we noticed how much he came out of his shell. Apparently have two siblings around that never quit talking causes a certain somebody to remain super quiet....

During the appointment the two AMAZING women each had a job....one would ask Kevin and I questions about Carter, his home life, his surroundings and activities and the other woman played with Carter. Different types of toys and activities that tested him in the 5 various areas in a way that would score him and we would be able to see his age vs. developmental age. I was so impressed on how geniunely concerned the women were with his development and what they could do to help.

After it was all said and done we received a "score" card and Carter did amazing....he actually scored off the charts for his age....We all came to the conclusion that his development was fine and that it would come down to him finding his voice with his siblings. Well...I tell you what....since that day, I really felt he had a confidence boost with these activities and he has found his voice. The kid is talking like crazy....it is like he is a different kid!! I wish programs like this were talked about more often so people can take full advantage of their services. This is a great way to have a child evaluated when a parent has a concern and it can be caught early if needed. I am so thankful they took the time with my sweet boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment