Sunday, February 20, 2011

A new kind of makeover...

Okay...I have briefly discussed my clothing issues here. Things are not getting any better...with a new season around the corner, I find myself browsing he internet at my favorite stores to see what is out and about. I have of course found about 499 things that I would like to add to my wardrobe...honestly, I would throw out everything I have and just start new...(hopefully "What Not to Wear" is listening...I am ready and willing!!! I am sure if I was followed by a secret camera right now, Stacy and Clinton would find PLENTY of things wrong with my outfits!!)

Anyway...in order to do this though, I would need cash, moolah...funds if you will, and I do not have that readily available. Our extra cash flow seems to go to things that go directly to the trash...diapers, wipes, etc. Then followed by making sure our kids are clothed and part of outside activity, not to mention our actual bills (i.e. mortgage, car, insurance) all the non-fun stuff...oh, and medical bills. Apparently, 4 kids in 3 years cost money....lots of it, even with insurance.

So, for now I will settle for my new past time, faux shopping. This is what I do....go to my website of choice...this includes Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, Anthropologie, J. Crew, Nordstrom's, Nine West, Piperlime, etc. I usually am directed there via e-mail that I have recieved regarding their next BIG sale...and I start browsing and fill my basket with a few items that I love. Then, I proceed, as if to check-out, and enter in my code and look at how much money I would save if I were to make this purchase. Ahhh....the fun...I know this seems ridiculous but it fills my "shopping" void.

Also, I have found that in reality...I truly don't "need" half the things that seem necessary at the time...they are just "wants" that are fleeting and disappear as soon as the next round of merchandise comes out. This has taught me alot....

1) self-control...I have always had the tendency to make purchases on a whim...and usually would have buyers remorse....now I find that if I find something that I truly like and I can say I want it for longer than a few days...I will actually take the time to save the money to make this special purchase.

2) Filling a void....takes more than a new shirt or great pair of shoes...I have truly tried to find what moves me spiritually...purpose...and it can only be temporaryily be filled with a new item.

3) What is really important...saving money...I have lots to save for...4 sweet kiddos to be exact :) They have futures ahead of them that I would like to help them prepare for and family trips that I would like take them on...so I can do without the trendiest piece of clothing if it means it is going to help me make memories

4) Labels cannot define me....I struggle with this often...as much as I would like to say I am comfortable in my own skin at all times...it just isn't true. I find that I would mask this by buying expensive items to feel worthy in a certain setting...or feel "prettier" or more accepted. Now, I feel like I am finding the meaning of true beauty.

So, I kinda just realized I typed more than intended...trust me...I LOVE shopping...and finding beautiful pieces...but it seems at this time in my life...as much as my closet needs a makeover...so do I. I will however, take advantage of great sales when possible...a girl needs a new shirt every once in awhile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment